Monday, August 31, 2015

The Wonder of Harry Potter - Part 1

Guest Author: Elaine White
This article is by Elaine White. All opinions are her own.
~

I am, ever so slightly obsessed with Harry Potter. But there’s a reason for that. Just like with Disney, there are important life lessons in the world of Harry Potter that speak to us all. It’s not all about the quest, the adventure and the heroism. It’s about so much more than that.
I came to Harry Potter late on. I saw the films before I had read the books and because I enjoyed them so much, I waited until I had seen all the films before attempting the books. That being said, I loved the books even more than the films. There are things in the films that aren’t in the books, for obvious reasons and things in the books that aren’t in the films. I find that this offsets the whole chaos of having to only like one or the other. They both have a lot to offer. Here, I’ll mostly be discussing the books, since I’m reading them right now.
The first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, is one of those that has that exciting newness about it right from the beginning. The whole thing is unknown. You have no idea if Harry’s going to be put into Slytherin and if he’ll change his mind and become friends with Draco, or if he’s made the right decision by asking the hat to put him into Griffindor instead. And for all that there are a lot of new characters to get your head around - Hagrid, Ron, Neville, Hermione - it’s done expertly. To me, the biggest lesson of The Sorcerer's Stone is to not let other people’s expectations rule your life. Draco and the others expect Harry to want only pure-blood friends because he’s a famous wizard. However, they seem to forget that Harry himself is only a half-blood, because of his Muggle born mother.
And yes, I know what you’re going to say. Harry is Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived and everyone expects him to defeat He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. And he does, over and over again. But not because of other people’s expectations. Harry does what he does, for himself, for his parents, for his friends, for Dumbledore, for the wizarding world. Even at the age of 11, he has a strong sense of duty, love about what he is and the world he’s a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment