Saturday, June 20, 2015

Author Interview : Jamie Sue Wilsoncroft

This interview is with WMP author, J.S. Wilsoncroft.
~

Interview:
Hi Jamie. You have a lot of books out. Let’s talk about your work:

Elaine : Tell us a bit about your short story Fat Chances My Love (which was featured in the Valentine’s Anthology, Novel Hearts). What novel is it from? What characters does it focus on?

Jamie: Fat Chances My Love is a short continuation from my novel Fat Chances. The characters it focuses on are Cory and Annie and how their love continues to grow in spite of their differences of him being a hot and very buff Zumba instructor and Annie who is very insecure about her obesity. In time she learns to overcome her insecurities and let Cory love her for whom she really is. Fat Chances and Fat Chances My Love are both loveable and laughable stories that touch base with a lot of young women who struggle everyday with their weight. It’s a story that truly says….LOVE COMES IN ALL SIZES!!

    Elaine : How did you come up with the idea for this short story? Was it something you had already considered through writing the novel?

Jamie: I never sit and plan a story, they just come to me while I am grooming dogs. LOL. One thing about Fat Chances and dealing with being overweight…I can relate. So the story came rather easy.

Elaine : I see from your book “Like Father Like Daughter” that you have a close relationship with your father. What was it like putting together this work with him?

Jamie: I am a Daddy’s girl. :) Well, my dad wrote his story years ago and kept a hold of it. I remembered reading it once as a young girl and asked him one day to find it and bring it to me. It was then I had the idea of publishing it for him as a Father’s Day gift. So I decided to gather a few of my other short stories and make an ebook featuring his story. When I called and told him I published it, he laughed and thought that was great!

Elaine : A lot of your stories are characteristically love stories. Did you set out to write romance stories? Would you call yourself a romance novelist or something else?

Jamie: I am a sucker for a good love story. I never set out to write period! I always pictured myself just grooming dogs for the rest of my life. Never in a million years did I ever thought I would add ‘author’ to my name. I still have to pinch myself once in a while to make sure I’m not dreaming.

Elaine : Tell us a little bit about your cover art. Who designs it? What inspires you to choose a certain image/artwork?

Jamie: I found a few of my cover arts on Shutterstock.  When I was writing Fat Chances, I came across the stomach with the hand shaped hearts and fell in love instantly. It was perfect!!  For The Unfaithful Widow… I always pictured a red headed woman standing in the cemetery and when I came across the cover for it…I gasped! It too was perfect!!! We found Remembering Zane’s cover on Shutterstock and My Haunting Love, I found on the internet and my friend did some work to it, to make it more original.

Elaine : What are we going to see from you in the future?  Anything completely unexpected?

Jamie: LOL…everything is unexpected when it comes to my writing.  I’m currently working on a vampire story called Forever 16 I hope to have published this year as well. It’s about a girl name Breanna, who is obsessed with the fifties era. She dresses in poodle skirts and listens to Elvis Presley. The week before her sixteenth birthday, weird things starting happening around her; blood in her mouth, finding blood drops on her shoes and a strange new boy comes to her school. In walks Dylan with slicked black hair, piercing eyes and creamy white skin. But it wasn’t how he looked that caught Bree’s attention. It was the way he was dressed; like John Travolta from Grease. As strange things continue to happen to Bree, people in her small town start dropping like flies, but that is the strangest thing. Dylan confesses to Bree that she really isn’t who she thinks she is and he must trust her and leave the only family she has ever known before her ‘real’ father finds her.

Elaine : Fat Chances is about a young girl who is overweight. My Haunting Love focuses on a young deaf girl. In a world where perfection is key, first of all, I’d like to thank you for writing about real women. Secondly, did you set out to use your books as a message of support and confidence to young women like your characters, or is that something that surprised you?

Jamie: I was always told if you are going to write a good story, write about something you know. Well, I’m overweight and hearing impaired and I love to ghost hunt. (lol)  So writing these stories came easy for me. If my stories in any way help women and young girls, well…that is a plus and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing I made life a little better for someone.

Elaine : Have you ever stepped out of your comfort zone and discovered a whole new genre?  How did it turn out?

Jamie: Haha…I’m always stepping out of my comfort zone the minute I walk out my door, but as for writing. I write whatever pops into my head, anything from erotica to a horror story. I wrote my short horror story, Screwy Louie in like thirty minutes then made my kids read it to see what they thought. My son pretended to gag, while my daughter said, “That is just disturbing Mom.”  I laughed.

Elaine : You have a long list of books available to buy: My Haunting Love, Fat Chances, Like Father Like Daughter, The Unfaithful Widow, Remembering Zane and short stories in Novel Hearts, A Home for the Holidays and 12 Tales of the Paranormal. Do you have a least favorite character?  What story are they from? What makes them less appealing to you?

Jamie: I love all my characters. From the evil fortune teller from Toothless (13 Tales of the Paranormal) to Jonathan from Remembering Zane. My favorite character would have to be Bart from The Unfaithful Widow. I just loved writing him into the story, even if he was short-lived. I laughed the whole time, writing about him.  Greg from The Unfaithful Widow, touched my heart the most. He was so in love with Tess and was torn because he couldn’t be with her. I cried many many times while writing this story. I cried writing all my stories except the horror ones. LOL

Elaine : What’s the most amusing thing that’s happened to you while you were writing your latest story, My Haunting Love?

Jamie: I don’t want to say….because it would spoil it for the readers.

Elaine : If your book were made into a movie, who do you picture playing each characters part? (Choose any book you like.)

Jamie: AHHHHH…..I could totally picture Rob Pattinson in some of them. Hehehehehe

Elaine : What is next for you? What are you working on at the moment?

Jamie: Nothing at the moment, but as soon as I get back from my vacation, I’m hoping to work on my vampire story, Forever 16. But summer is here and the kids are off from school. So usually, I don’t get a flipping thing done around here. LOL

Elaine : Can we have a snippet of My Haunting Love?

Jamie: I gave him a small smile and turned to John, with a million questions in my eyes. He smiled and cupped my face gently between his warm hands. “Calista, my love. You will always be in my heart,” he said as I read his lips, then he leaned forward and kissed me. I reached up to wrap my arms around his neck and he was gone. I quickly opened my eyes and saw that the bright light was gone, too. The only ones left in the room was Mike, Ryan, the Preacher and me.

On behalf of Elaine and your readers, thank you!

~

You can keep up with J.S. Wilsoncroft on the following sites:

Facebook          Twitter          Blog            Goodreads

~

You can buy her books on these sites:


Amazon          Barnes and Noble          Smashwords

No comments:

Post a Comment