Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Writer Wednesday: Excerpt from "My Haunting Love" by: J.S. Wilsoncroft

Writer Wednesday

Excerpt from

My Haunting Love
By: J.S. Wilsoncroft

I’d read enough paranormal books that my crazy imagination began to kick into gear. The only thing that crossed my mind was that there had to be a ghost living in this house. I knew I was just being silly, though. I glanced over at my dresser and noticed that the ASL book wasn’t there. I nearly choked when I saw it lying on my bed and new words had been highlighted. When I looked closer, it was actually a sentence.
“Don’t be scared” was highlighted perfectly with the yellow marker.
Seeing the new words highlighted in yellow, I did exactly the opposite. I slammed the book shut and ran downstairs with Sam following closely behind. I ran out the front door and sat on the porch swing to try and calm my nerves. Although it was early in the morning and the sun was shining brightly, I was grateful for the cool breeze. I leaned back against the swing, rocking the swing back and forth with my toes, and closed my eyes, enjoying the cool air as it tickled my face. I tried not to think about the highlighted words, but it was impossible. It was scaring the shit out of me. I still hadn’t confronted Mike about it, but a part of me really didn’t think that it was him.
I squeezed my eyes shut, forcing myself to forget what had just happened. After a few minutes passed and my heart finally returned to its normal rhythm, I slowly opened my eyes, only to see Sam barking again. This time he was barking at the white wicker rocker that was sitting across from me on the other side of the porch. I clapped my hands to get his attention, but he ignored me and kept on barking. Just like yesterday, his lips were curled back showing all his sharp teeth, and the hair on his back was standing up. I gasped when I looked up and saw the empty rocker slowly swaying back and forth, as if someone was sitting in it. That’s when the hair on the back of my neck stood up.
Okay! Don't panic! I told myself. I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping that it was just my mind playing games with me, but when I slowly opened them, the chair was still rocking back and forth at an even faster pace. Sam was drooling and foaming at the mouth as he barked viciously at the empty rocker.
“What’s all this ruckus?” my dad signed as he stomped out the back door. I sat with my mouth hanging open, shocked. The rocker stopped moving when Dad came out. He looked first at me, then at Sam, who had stopped barking. I could feel the vibrations on the wooden porch as Dad tapped his boot, waiting for an explanation, but what was I supposed to tell him? Sam was barking because the rocker was moving on its own? Yeah, right.
“Ummmm … Sam was just barking at a bee,” I lied. It was the first thing that popped into my head and I was grateful that he believed me. Dad shook his head at both of us, then turned and walked back into the kitchen. My legs shook uncontrollably as I stared at the empty rocker in disbelief. I knew then that I was dealing with something paranormal. There was a ghost living in our house and it was trying to communicate with me through my ASL book. The rocker started moving back and forth again.             
***
      Excerpt from My Haunting Love, by: J.S. Wilsoncroft, coming soon from Write More Publications. Wilsoncroft is the author of Remembering Zane, Fat Chances and The Unfaithful Widow, all available on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Smashwords, Barnes and Noble and Goodreads. My Haunting Love is Wilsoncroft's first young adult book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment