Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Writer Wednesday

Writer Wednesday

Stephanie Greenhalgh Author Interview

·         What is the title of your book? The Twistedly True Tale of Ruby Hood. It’s due out March 2013

·         Please tell us a little bit about your book. The Twistedly True Tale of Ruby Hood is a young adult fantasy novella loosely based on the fairy tale, Little Red Riding Hood, but it is not your traditional, heartwarming, enchanted narrative with a happy ending.

In the small town of Woodsville, self-assured Ruby Hood finds herself on a purposeful journey of self discovery. Along the way, she encounters a cute boy with a lopsided grin, Dylan Hunter. She flirts shamelessly with the congenial football star, Kent Wolf. She also finds herself in a barrage of harsh verbal altercations with the stunning yet wicked, Kayla Wolf. In the midst of the seemingly normal high school drama, Ruby must cope with the gut wrenching loss of loved ones as she discovers her true calling. She is a Guardian of the Wood. Despite her pain and anguish, she must find her inner strength not only to protect herself, but also to save the town of Woodsville from another senseless death.

·         How did you come up with your book idea? I decided I wanted to write something based on a fairy tale, but I had no idea what I wanted to do. The characters started forming on my morning walks with my Labrador retrievers and before long the storyline flowed.

·         What are your publishing credits? I have two published short stories. Betula’s Angst, which is featured in 13 Tales of the Paranormal anthology published by Firely and Wisp Publishing and Duality, which is featured in A Thorn of Death anthology, also by Firefly and Wisp Publishing.

·         What are your plans for the future? To keeping writing until I write the next big thing! Right now, I’m working on a new angel series.

·         What is your day job? I teach fourth grade and LOVE it!

·         What is your preferred genre to write? Fantasy/Paranormal. I have an active imagination and enjoy making things up.

·         How did you become a writer? A few years ago, I started getting ideas for a story and I’d idly jot them down bit by bit, piece by piece until I had a novel. After multiple rejections, I decided to take a step back and write some short stories. It has all really morphed from there.

·         Are you a planner, complete with detailed outlines, or do you fly by the seat of your pants when writing? It depends. I have notebooks upon notebooks of ideas, characters and storylines, which I refer to often. But then I can also get an idea and sit down in five to six hours and produce a short story. Betula’s Angst was written in 4 hours for a 24 hour contest based on a picture. More recently, I wrote the first draft of Angel 101, which is over 47,000 words, from start to finish in five and a half hours, which is included in Angels Among Us, the Write More Publications angel anthology. I’m a character driven writer. The characters have to come first, then, I can write their stories.

·         What is the best writing advice that you have ever been given? Don’t forget the DDD’s (Dialogue, Descriptions and Details) and SNT (Show Not Tell)

·         What advice would you give a new writer? Write stories, develop your characters, enter contests, and hone your craft.

·         What other projects do you have in the works at the moment? Well, I’m always working on my young adult novel series: The Magnolia Books (a hot mess right now as I seem to continually change characters and settings). I am also working on a series of short stories/novellas centering around my latest character, Avery Thomas, as she muddles through Angel 101 learning the ins and outs of being a rare and powerful Human Angel. And Part II of The Twistedly True Tale of Ruby Hood.

·         What surprises can we expect from you in the future?
I will write a best seller … just not quite sure whenJ

·         If you could journey into any of your books, interacting with the characters, which would it be and why? Right now, I would choose my angel series with Avery Thomas, because her future is new and exciting. I can’t wait to see what sort of complications I can add to her life!

·         What public appearances do you have planned in the future?
None at the moment, but I hope that changes as my release date nears.

·         Is there anything else you’d like to share with your fans?
Reading is the best cure for writer’s block!

On behalf of Write More Publications, thank you! 

***

Stephanie Greenhalgh's short story Angel 101 is featured in Angels Among Us, the Write More Publications angel anthology now on sale at Amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, and Barnes and Noble. Stephanie's first book The Twistedly True Tale of Ruby Hood is coming soon from Write More Publications.



No comments:

Post a Comment