Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Writer Wednesday--Interiew With Elaine White

Writer Wednesday

Interview With Elaine White
Author of 
Runaway Girl 
Book 1
in the
The Secrets of Avelina Chronicles



·         What is the title of your book?  - Runaway Girl

·         Please tell us a little bit about your book.   -  Runaway Girl is the first in a series of novels about vampires, werewolves and witches.  It involves the search for a missing Vampire princess, and the struggles her guard must go through to find the fragmented pieces of her soul, which have been placed into ordinary human girls.

·         How did you come up with your book idea?     -  Strangely, it was part dream, and part inspiration from having watched Buffy and Angel as a teenager.  I had a lot of little stories that didn’t seem to work, and had been discarded to an old folder.  When I came up with the idea of my main character, Damian, and his search for the vampire princess in a dream, everything seemed to fit into place.  All the discarded stories found a home in Runaway Girl, to some extent.

·         What are your publishing credits?   - Runaway Girl will be my first published work.

·         What are your plans for the future?   -  Always to write.  Anything else that comes with it is a bonus.  Although a full time writing career has always been my dream.

·         What is your day job?  -  I am currently a full time student, although I do have a few volunteer jobs.

·         What is your preferred genre to write?   - Romance seems to come naturally to me, but never just on its own.  There always has to be some other element to it: supernatural, crime, time travel.  So I guess, I don’t really have a preferred genre.  If I would read it written by someone else, then I’ll write it.

·         How did you become a writer?   - It just sort of happened.  I used to read a lot as a kid and found that some books I was reading didn’t feel right to me.  I started off playing around with how I would prefer it written. Then I began taking one theme or idea from a book I’d read and try to see if I could write a whole story around that. It took off from there, really. I was probably only twelve or thirteen at the time.

·         Are you a planner, complete with detailed outlines, or do you fly by the seat of your pants when writing?   - A little bit of both, to be honest.  Once I get an idea, and the inspiration is there, I can spend a whole day or days just letting it expand and flow.  Then once it feels finished, I go back, read through and see how it reads.  It’s all in note form at this point.  If it’s fine, it gets stored away until I have time to put it into chapters and organize it.  But once it comes to the writing stage, I tend to write what feels right.  I had a story once that was really well organized, but when it came to writing it, I changed the direction of some major events and who my main character ended up romantically tangled with because it felt right. The story, for me, tends to write itself.  I just do the typing.

·         What is the best writing advice that you have ever been given?    - Probably by my mum.  She always told me I could do and be anything and not to be afraid of rejection.  She told me that you can’t always get what you want, but if you try hard and work for it, you’ll get there eventually.  So I did. I spent ten years sending my work to publishers and agents, before getting a ‘yes.’  I just kept trying and believing that it would happen one day.

·         What advice would you give a new writer?   - Two things.  1. Don’t ever give up.  Getting rejected and trying to find the right publisher or agent to take you on is tough and it can be painful. I think I cried the first fifteen times. Sometimes you don’t even get an answer.  But there is someone out there who will like what you write. 2. Keep everything!  I can’t count how many finished stories I have now because of a piece of ‘fluff’ writing I wrote when I was fourteen.  Everything matters and you never know when it might cause inspiration, be your best writing or even just for that time when inspiration strikes and you need to reread it, or you find an ending that fits perfectly.

·         What other projects do you have in the works at the moment?   - Lots. I’m currently writing Book 4 of a crime series, as well as putting ideas down for a few other things; a romance, a witchcraft novel, and a Resident Evil style biological epidemic story.

·         What surprises can we expect from you in the future?   - Who knows? I never know what’s going to come next, but I’m hoping for a few darker stories in the future.  Or I might go the other way into full blown romance mode. It depends what inspiration strikes. Although I do have a part-autobiographical story about cancer that might shake a few feathers.

·         If you could journey into any of your books, interacting with the characters, which would it be and why?   - I’d love to step into my vampire series and meet Damian. I would probably choose, for myself to step into, Books 2 or 5. Book 2 has a lot going on and some great scenery I’d love to see for real, whereas Book 5 is a little more mellow and relaxed and I’d love to sit around a lycanthrope camp and just watch what was going on.

·         What public appearances do you have planned in the future?   - Nothing at the moment.  We’re still in the editing stages on Runaway Girl but I’d love to maybe do a signing or appearance at my local bookshop and maybe up in Edinburgh at a bigger store.  That would be exciting. It all depends on timing, and of course, Scottish weather.

·         Is there anything else you’d like to share with your fans?  - Just to keep an eye out.  Runaway Girl will be released soon, and there are five more books in the vampire series after that.  But don’t go expecting a Twilight or Vampire Diaries type story. My vampires aren’t always pretty; they can be mean, ugly and brutal too. 

On behalf of Write More Publications, thank you! 

Elaine White's first book Runaway Girl in The Secrets of Avelina Chronicles is coming soon from Write More Publications. There are six books in the series. Elain is also working on a crime mystery series, and has completed an angel series, as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment