Tuesday, July 17, 2012


Cambria: Designed to Encourage Reading
By: Theresa Oliver

My oldest son, Travis, was in middle school at the time and, like many middle school students, had lost interest in reading. This was a boy that read 100 page books every night when he was in kindergarten. I asked myself, what could have changed that created this disinterest in reading? Then I looked around and, at the time, there weren’t many books on the market that would pique his interest, so he just gave up. Of course, this was before “Twilight” and “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” came onto the reading scene.

So, I decided to write a book that would pique his interest and renew his interest in reading.

I knew he was interested in knights, and so was I. And, along with knights come wizards and a damsel in distress. My story also needed a great villain, like every good fairytale has. I also loved the idea of time travel, so I included that, too. My protagonist, Seth, I modeled after my son, Travis. In my book, Seth is learning what it means to be a man, as was my son, as well. Then I asked myself, “Wouldn’t it be great if Travis could have great adventure over summer break?” And he could … all in the pages of a book.

Hence, Cambria was born.

Seth, my protagonist, was a rising junior in high school and wasn’t happy in his life. Having an adventurous spirit, he craved more excitement than his hometown of Pooler, Georgia, could provide. So, his mother sends him to visit his Great Uncle Herman in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada, for his summer vacation.

Reluctant at first, Seth agreed and, unknowingly, his adventure begins. Little did he know, but his uncle is a wizard, in fact the son of Merlin himself, and is over 2000 years old. Seth is bored, so, with the help of a strange medallion, Herman sends him on an adventure of a lifetime. Seth travels to Cambria to the year 1258 A.D., a land where no one thinks it out of the ordinary for flying unicorns and dragons to roam the earth, where knights in shining armor still protect the land, and where chivalry and standing up for what is right still prevails. In Cambria, Seth falls in love with Briana, and races to save her from the evil Dracon, sending him on an adventure he will never forget.

My son is now senior in high school and still hasn’t read it yet, but I hope that Cambria will bring joy and adventure to the lives of young adults and adults alike.

Since their release, many adults and young adults alike have told me that both “Cambria” and “Star” have renewed their interest in reading, which makes writing a worthwhile adventure for me. And similar adventures are yet to come, which, it is my hope, will encourage readers of all ages. After all, who wouldn’t like a little adventure from time to time?

Theresa Oliver is the author of “Cambria, Cambria Series, Book 1” and “Star, Starland Vamp Series, Book 1.” They are both currently available on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Barnes and Noble online, and Smashwords. Oliver is currently working on her next novel “Thou Shalt Not Kill.” 


"Cambria, Cambria Series, Book 1" on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Cambria-Series-Book-ebook/dp/B007WHP8D8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342585623&sr=8-2&keywords=cambria%2C+cambria+series%2C+book+1



No comments:

Post a Comment