Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Work Overload by Jamie B Musings

My home is a house of writers and readers. You really can’t have one without the other; Steven King said so in his book On Writing. Basically, he said that anyone who can’t make time to read has no business trying to be a writer and I agree whole heartedly. My husband and I both have always been readers, but that has really picked up ever since he got that book and introduced me to it. We even joined the 52 Book in 52 Weeks challenge to give us extra motivation to read.

Since we are both writers, we spend a lot of time looking at the written word. So much time, in fact, you just want to take that book or manuscript and toss it out the window! There’s reading (so you can get a sense of what’s out there, style, etc.), writing (obviously!), editing (or, as I like to call it, meeting the red pen of doom) and networking (otherwise known as the procrastinator’s best friend). There’s Facebook posts to comment on, status updates to do, tweets to respond to, blogs to write, cool stuff to share on Pintrest… it all starts to get a bit overwhelming.


There comes a time where you have to set it all aside to get your head straight again and be ready to tackle that mile-long to-do list, and I don’t mean by introducing it to Mr. Shredder. So what do I do to give myself a little break and keep the words from swimming on the page? Here are some of the best methods I’ve found…


1) A walk is a great way to recharge and, quite often, gives me a chance to chew on some of the ideas running through my mind and organize my thoughts.




2) Singing along with music is another great one. It’s also one of my favorites. If I’m feeling particularly frustrated over not making my NaNo word count for the day or a plot/character that isn’t working, I can put the headphones on and escape. Songs full of attitude are the best ones during times like that.


3) Meditation is another really great tool for both of us. We go to a place where they lead a circle once a week and come out each time feeling refreshed and ready to go! I also keep several CDs in the house filled with guided meditations and relaxing music.


4) Sometimes, a movie night is just what is needed. I personally love putting in comedies or a marathon of a TV show.
So there, you have it. How I cope with the occasional word overload. Are you a writer that suffers from occasional word overload? What do you do to recharge? Let’s chat about it!

1 comment:

  1. Good tips, Jamie. I use #3 & 4 when I want to step back, sometimes a drive on a country road. So much to do and so little time. Still have yet to add pinterest to my list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete